Land survey, also referred to as surveying, is a systematic and scientific process used to measure and document the dimensions of a specific area on the Earth’s surface.
This includes capturing horizontal distances, directions, angles, and elevations. Additionally, artificial structures such as roads or buildings are often noted during the survey. Surveys play a crucial role in establishing boundary measurements that denote ownership based on the mapping of the area.
In Nigeria, the term ‘Land Surveying’ is officially recognized by laws and regulations governing the discipline. Despite acknowledging the evolving nature of the profession, the existing legal framework retains the registered nomenclature as ‘surveying.’ Until amendments are made to reflect a change in nomenclature, the terms ‘Land Surveying’ are used collectively to modernize the profession while respecting current laws.
In Nigeria, the land surveying procedure encompasses multiple steps and protocols to guarantee precision which are pivotal in land transactions, offering essential details about boundaries, ownership, and rights.
TYPES OF LAND SURVEY:
- Boundary Survey:
- Purpose: Locating or setting corners of a parcel of land as legally described in a deed or document of record.
- Setting Out Survey:
- Purpose: A set-out survey is a critical procedure used to transfer a building or architectural design onto the land or existing structures by setting out its exact position in the ‘real world.
- As Built Survey:
- Purpose: as-built survey is the set of geometric surveys conducted on a building during and after its construction.
- Route Survey:
- Purpose: Route Survey is made on the ground to provide for the location of right of way lines, a centerline, or reference lines in relation to property lines and terrain features.
- Subdivision Survey:
- Purpose: Dividing a piece of land into smaller pieces.
- Topography Survey:
- Purpose: Determining the relative locations of points on the Earth’s surface by measuring horizontal distances, differences in elevation, and directions.
REASONS FOR LAND SURVEY
- Define Property Boundaries:
- Land surveyors help delineate property boundaries, preventing disputes with neighbors.
- Accurate Property Valuation:
- Land survey ensures the accurate valuation of property, preventing over or undervaluation.
- Topographical Details:
- Detect soil and structural issues, determine flood-prone areas, and understand the topography before purchasing.
- Protect from Disasters:
- Land survey helps identify potential issues and protects from construction setbacks and disasters.
- Parcel Division:
- For business, residential, and commercial purposes, landowners may want to divide property accurately.
- Prepare for Construction:
- Consult a land survey engineer to understand the potential of the land and ensure a smooth construction process.
Geospatial Research Ltd is a prominent land surveying company based in Nigeria, specializing in cutting-edge geospatial solutions. Established with a commitment to excellence, Geospatial Research Ltd has earned a reputation for delivering high-quality surveying and mapping services tailored to the unique needs of its clients.
The company boasts a team of experienced and skilled land surveyors equipped with state-of-the-art technology to provide accurate and reliable geospatial data. Geospatial Research Ltd is dedicated to staying at the forefront of technological advancements in the field, ensuring that its clients receive the most up-to-date and comprehensive surveying solutions.
With a focus on precision and efficiency, Geospatial Research Ltd offers a diverse range of services, including topographic surveys, cadastral mapping, aerial surveys using advanced technologies like LiDAR, and the production of detailed digital elevation models. The company’s expertise extends to providing geospatial solutions for various industries, including urban planning, environmental monitoring, and infrastructure development.
Geospatial Research Ltd prides itself on its commitment to client satisfaction, emphasizing clear communication, timely project delivery, and adherence to international surveying standards. As a trusted partner in the geospatial industry, the company continues to contribute significantly to the development and advancement of land surveying practices in Nigeria.